| by Kenneth Chase | No comments

Renting a home: Signing a lease and condition report (English)

(PLEASANT MUSIC) WOMAN: There are things
you should know before signing a residential tenancy
agreement in NSW. The agreement is also called a lease and is a legal document. It contains information about what the tenant or landlord
can do and cannot do. It will also include
the amount of rent you need to pay and how and when to pay it. Make sure you read the lease
thoroughly before you sign it. Be certain that you understand
and agree to what you are signing. If there is anything
you don’t understand, ask the agent or landlord, or ask for help
from someone you trust. Usually the lease period
is discussed and agreed to before the tenant signs it. A lease period can be for as short
or as long as the parties want, but leases commonly run
for either six months or 12 months. There is no fee
for having a lease prepared. Before signing the lease, the agent must give you
the new tenant checklist. The checklist can help you
think about things before signing the lease. The agent or landlord
must also tell you if there are problems
about the property such as serious flooding or bushfire in the last five years or health and safety risks. Once you understand your rights
and responsibilities, you are now ready to sign the lease
with the landlord or agent. Remember, the agent must give you
a copy of the signed lease. They must also give you
two copies of the condition report for you to complete. Take time to complete this report. Look around the property carefully. Make notes of all damage, stains
or things that don’t work. Put as much detail as you can
in the report. It is a good idea to take photos
or a video of the property before moving in. After completing the report, you must return one copy to the agent
within seven days. The tenant and agent must sign
the report and both keep a copy. If you find essential items
that don’t work, you can ask the agent to repair them. If you have been told
an item is working but it doesn’t when you move in, you can also ask the agent
to repair it. When you move out, the agent will usually inspect
the property for any damage and to check that it is clean. The condition report
will be your evidence if there is a dispute about
who should pay for damages or cleaning at the end
of your tenancy. Your local community organisations, like a migrant resource centre, may be able to assist you
with renting issues. Or you can contact the Tenants Advice
and Advocacy Service. For more information on tenants’ rights
and responsibilities, visit the Fair Trading website: Or phone: If you need language assistance, ring:

Leave a Reply